I have a really sweet friend who is a mom of two little beauties about the same age as my girls who inspired me to do a
little planning this year for December. I wrote out some ideas and each day we did something fun to prepare us for Christmas. (Thanks Mekensy! <3)
In doing this what I found was an unexpected journey. I thought I would just enjoy seeing the excitement in Brenna's beautiful face & enjoy getting out of the house together, but I also happened to find ME. The New Me. The Mother-Of-Two-Now ME.
I don't know if it's something a lot of moms just don't talk about or if we just didn't pay much attention to what moms were saying as we were growing up, but it takes T-I-M-E to feel like YOU again after a baby. I can now say this with certainty after two kids and can actually talk about this out loud. A lot of the incredible friends I have are moms who have shared similar experiences.
Sometimes I would wake up and feel disoriented and distracted. I would be overwhelmed so easily over things I used to handle no problem. I knew I had to do x, y & z but
instead I sit down and zone out watching a TV show or read a book I can get lost in. Getting myself ready for the day was daunting. A walk outside felt like a marathon. I didn't cook much. Cleaned much less. Stayed home even more. And luckily, the most important things I needed to do were simple: love those children; feed them, hug them, play with them, enjoy them. And that's all my husband wanted me to do, too...
But it was difficult for me to allow myself to let so much go.
I am a goer, doer and a (simple) scheduler and that changed. I had to let a lot go and be okay with it until I felt like I could handle some of those responsibilities in a healthy way.
I am still getting there, especially with the cooking thing! (Can I get an AMEN?!) So for first time moms, I just hope they know what I didn't know… That it's okay to give yourself time.
LOTS of time. Weeks, months and even years to feel like you again. It's different for everyone adjusting to a whole new way of life.
But you are normal!
Here are some of the activities (that I got photos of) my family and I did throughout December that brought us all together and helped me plug in to life in a revitalizing way:
 |
| Ice Skating |
 |
| Movie Date- "Frozen" |
 |
| Family Dinners |
 |
| Zoo Lights… BRRRR!!! |
 |
| Building a Snowman |
 |
| Gingerbread House 101 With Daddy |
 |
| Made Ornaments |
 |
| More Family Dinners |
 |
| Christmas Ring Countdown |
 |
| Festival of Trees |
 |
| Professional Pictures with All the Grandkids as a surprise for Grandma and Grandpa! |
 |
| Baking Day! Yum! |
 |
| Brynlee's First Christmas |
 |
| It was a Great Holiday! |
Other fun ideas I didn't get photos of were: Going to Menchies (our favorite frozen yogurt shop!), watching Christmas movies together (The Grinch, Charlie Brown Christmas, Frosty), driving around looking at Christmas lights, lots of hot chocolate, and singing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus and letting Brenna blow out the candles. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment