There's a book I often think of that I read when we were first married. It's called The Color Code. Joe and I realized early on that he is a 'red' personality and I am a 'blue' personality. It's comical really! God seriously has a sense of humor. I still laugh to this day when I skim through it (which I did this week) for new revelations. Here's what it says about our combination:
"BLOOD, SWEAT, AND TEARS"
-No other combination of personalities must work as hard to be successfully compatible as Reds and Blues. Both want to be in control. However, their motives, needs, wants, and behaviors are mostly opposite. Theirs is a difficult union, and yet the strong sense of commitment and loyalty they share substantially increases their chances for success [finally some good news!]"
I wonder what other couples we know also have this combination! Good thing that Joe and I are fighters and anyone who knows us know that we've been through hell and back, so the overview is surely fitting.
OVERVIEW
Red VS. Blue
-power--- intimacy
-to be right----to be understood
-to be respected----to be appreciated
-approval of a few----general acceptance
-to please self----to please others (sigh, very true for me)
-challenging adventure----security
-high productivity------strong perfectionism
-demanding----demanding (HA! HA!)
-unforgiving but moves on------unforgiving and resentful (Ouch, God's really worked on us both in this area, but it can be true!)
-responsible-----responsible
-does not seek advice-----seeks advice from knowledgeable people
-arrogant----self-righteous (who, meeee?) ;)
-proactive-----pessimistic
-doesn't love easily but strong commitment-----loves deeply and is disappointed by those who can't love
That's just to name half! =)
I didn't write this to embarrass either of us. Not at all! It's actually REALLY neat to me to see how after five (almost six) years that we have learned to coincide very happily! We have both been open to change and have owned our mistakes. I just think this type of thing is so interesting, too! All couples should take the test and see what each other's strengths and limitations are and see how you can better understand your mate.
Here's another funny way of looking at our combination:
[high productivity vs. strong perfectionism]
Red: If a job's worth doing, let's stop talking and get it done.
Blue: If a job's worth doing at all, it's worth doing right.
In all honesty, reading through this book has helped me gain a deeper appreciation for who my husband is and how he ticks. It's helped me understand his personality more and to accept him for who he is! That's huge for me considering I tend to be a perfectionist and self-righteous. But ya know..... when you mix blue with red you get..... purple. My favorite color. See, it was meant to be =)
I love you Joe! I love how much you've challenged me to grow and how you've always accepted me for me. <3
Nice post. I love to read about people being REAL in their marriage. :) I believe that Steve and I are also a red/blue combo. It makes things more interesting right? ;) "Demanding/Demanding" was my favorite one.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you enjoyed it Brooke! Maybe this will be the start of many more realness blog posts ;) You and Steve could very well be! Let's look at the book next time you're here. I liked the demanding one too.. some others that were the same: manipulative, intense, possessive, confrontational, intimidating and highly complex! Yep, pretty much.
Delete